Re: Purpose of self-referential rule

Kelly, typically you have a default route set on each machine on your
LAN, and that gateway address would be your linux router.
Yes, packets COULD be sent directly, but you'd have to reset the route
in your machine each time you wanted to point to a different machine.
So, the router IS routing all your traffic on the LAN in a normal setup.
So the line in iptables is useful. I use this kind of statement here
where I have 3 different companies sharing a fiber-optic line back to my
ISP. In your example, since its an INPUT statement, limits access to
machines on the 192.168.6.0/24 network assuming you have a DROP policy
for INPUT.

-Del