Re: Purpose of self-referential rule

	Hi:

	This rule would only really be invoked when in a packet left a system on the
internal network headed for the firewall box itself (presumably the firewall
has a valid network address on that segment.) -- however that rule is rather
loose, since it supposes that it is accepting a destination of the entire
segment, rather than for a specific IP on the firewall.  This might be valid
if you had wireless lan tunnelling equipment that used the firewall as a
router, and the rule was in the forward chain.   There was a discussion
recently about controlling access to MS shares in a public wireless lan, but
the solution was not in iptables, but in the wireless lan tunnelling
software.

	What is the intent of the rule is perhaps the more appropriate question.
	This would be appropriate for certain envrionments, but not in most.

	Alistair Tonner
	nerdnet.ca
	Senior Systems Analyst - RSS

     Any sufficiently advanced technology will have the appearance of magic.
	Lets get magical!