conntrack idle timeout

Is there a way to control the time it takes for an idle, established TCP session to be purged from conntrack's state tables? I'm looking for the something like "ipchains -M -S". I saw at <http://www.syrlug.org/contrib/ipmasq.html> that there is no iptables equivalent, but I'm hoping it's changed since then. Maybe there's a sysctl or something?

The problem I'm experiencing is pretty simple. I leave ssh sessions open for a while (possibly several hours). I come back to them and get a "Connection reset by peer" error and have to open a new session. Back when I used ipchains, "iptables -M -S 86400 10 60" or similar solved the problem for me.

Thanks,
Scott Lamb