Re: standby port at the bridge firewall ?

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 04:31:30 +0000,
"SB CH" <chulmin2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<F93GsRbHozNNrUIY7Hp0001b6f5@hotmail.com>:

> Hello, all.
>
> I would like to set standby switch like this.
> So if a main switch is down, I would like to service with standby
> switch instead of main switch.
> (traffic using only main switch and just connects with standby switch
> at normal state)
> and I connected main switch with eth0, Sub switch with eth1,
> and additionally connects standby switch with eth2 at the bridge
> firewall.
>

>        Main Switch               Standby Switch
>             |                         |
>             |                         |
>             ---------------------------
>                    Bridge Firewall

>                      Sub Switch
>

> Then, How can I change this brctl script?
>
> ### pre configuration just using eth0 and eth1
> brctl addbr br0
> brctl stp br0 off
> brctl addif br0 eth0
> brctl addif br0 eth1
> ifconfig eth0 down
> ifconfig eth1 down
> ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 promisc up
> ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 promisc up
> ifconfig br0 211.1.1.1 promisc up

..drop this:

> route add default gw 211.1.1.1

..let the bridge _learn_ about the two other routes.

> should do I change like this to us standby switch?
> Will it works well?
> doesn't do loop?

..try 'brctl --help' for syntax, you want to set the "path cost"
low to the main switch, and high to the standby switch.

..yeah, I know, 'brctl' does the same thing, it shows usage.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: