Re: iptables -L *very* slow

On Monday 17 February 2003 12:36 am, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> When I try and print out my iptable rules using iptables -L, it takes
> about three minutes for the rules to print out (and there are only 9
> of them).
>
> Why is does this take so long? Is this a bug?
>
> I am using the newest version of iptables with a custom 2.4.20 kernel.

You'll probably have nearly instant listing with "iptables -n -L".  My
guess is that it is taking all that time trying to resolve IP's in your
rules to actual hostnames.  That lookup process is bypassed with the
"-n" switch, to use numbers instead of names.

The root cause is a little deeper.  Either an IP cannot be resolved, or
it is taking an unusually long time to resolve.  The latter might be
caused by flawed DNS configuration at your end, or at the DNS for the
machine in question.