Re: forward traffic web to squid server

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 05:24 pm, Linux User wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> In my server RedHat-8.0, I have installed script-firewall with
> iptables, this firewall-server has connection to Internet and the
> users of the internal network correctly work, now my restlessness is
> in which I have installed a squid server in the internal network but
> that simultaneously this connected by another network to a server with
> line ADSL to Internet, my question is as I can configure my firewall
> to forward all traffic web to my squid server that this in the
> internal network?

You can use a nat PREROUTING rule to DNAT all HTTP traffic to the squid
box, then out its internet connection (if so configured), and the rest
of the traffic will go out the internet connection on the firewall box.
HOWEVER:

1 - you must also SNAT the traffic that goes to the squid server in nat
POSTROUTING to ensure that return traffic comes back to the firewall box
from the squid server, NOT directly to the clients.

2 - hopefully HTTP is the only connections the squid box will accept
and/or forward, otherwise your firewall covers the front of the internal
network while leaving its butt exposed...

The rules you'd need are:

/sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT
--to 192.168.100.254
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -d 192.168.100.254
-j SNAT --to 192.168.100.1

plus appropriate FORWARD rules, which you may already have in place.