RE: Consequences

Thanks for the advice Darell:

Concerning PREROUTING/POST & MANGLE: the only rule that I have are:

# flsuh:
iptables -t nat --flush
iptables -t mangle --flush

# Policy:
iptables -t nat --policy PREROUTING DROP
iptables -t nat --policy OUTPUT DROP
iptables -t nat --policy POSTROUTING DROP
iptables -t mangle --policy PREROUTING DROP
iptables -t mnagle --policy OUTPUT DROP

Thats it.  the thing I just did (above) I learnt from reading "Linux
Firewalls" (RL Ziegler).  It said to be part of a DENY EVERYTHING by
default.

However, I figured out AFTER going through all my rules for
INPUT/OUTPUT/FORWARD that it wasn't my rules at all, per say, that was
denying all sorts of services, like Internet access to the host & LAN,
SSD, DNS just to mention some common ones.

What I ended up figuring out AFTER conceptually tracing
PREROUTING,POSTROUTING, etc... i.e the rules above, that if I didn't set
them to ACCEPT nothing gets anywhere in the first place.

So I set them to ACCEPT and all services were restored.  The only thing
is I worry about some packets escaping to the end of the chain and gets
accepted by default.

Everyones comments and suggestions have been helpful and I welcome more
anytime.

Santos.
I love lively brain powered discussions.