RE: Consequences

Hello,

It has been quite awhile since I first set up my rules, so be advised
that my suggestions may be a bit off (and subject to correction by
others, of course)...

As a general rule, you should not do any packet filtering in
PREROUTING / POSTROUTING / MANGLE.  Those chains are for things like
SNAT / DNAT and a variety of other manipulations.  You should only be
dropping traffic in INPUT / OUTPUT / FORWARD (and your user-defined
filter table chains).

I remember having the same problem as you, and I'm pretty sure it was
because I originally tried to use a default DROP policy on
PRE/POSTROUTING & MANGLE.  Unless you duplicate all of your INPUT /
FORWARD rules in PREROUTING, the incoming traffic you wish to permit
will match the default DROP policy there (and subsequently die) before
it ever gets to the filter table.  Same is true for your OUTPUT rules.

I hope this helped.

If you post your rules, I'm sure someone will advise you of the
precise problem.

Darrell Dieringer - Madison, WI