patching iptables - how?

Hi all,

just joined the list.
Pretty new to linux/iptables (on SuSE8.0). I'm trying to patch from 1.2.5
to 1.2.6a and then to 1.2.7a.
Do have all patches. Tried "patch" command, but I seem can't figure it out
properly. Would someone explain how to do this in couple of steps, please?
Also, from reading other articles, after patching up or reinstalling
iptables from scratch, is it necessary to recompile the kernel?

Cheers,
Mladen