RE: Trying to get a Subnet NATted

Matthew:

Thanks for responding....

> I'm not exactly sure I understand your network setup, but in
> a more typical setup one normally SNAT's all connections
> going out the external interface (because everything behind
> the firewall is "private").
>
> You seem to be saying that you are receiving packets with
> private source addresses on the "external" interface of your
> linux box and that these packets are destined for the
> Internet?  Why would you Linux box be receiving these packets
> for routing?  It doesn't seeem like it should be in the routing path.

You're right, This isn't typical.  I have my WAN lines terminating at my
ISP. They in turn forward these packets to me via the aDSL line.  That's
the whole problem.  Because the Linux box "sees" them as being bound for
another destination (the Internet in this case), The machine just
forwards them along without modifing them (i.e. leaving the source
address is unmodified) and my ISP's routers then kill these packets for
being like this.

The funny thing about this is:  I've got a MS Proxy Server 2.0, that's
doing the natting for me now.  So it is possible - somehow.  I think I
need to somehow tell my Linux machine that the packets with the
10.200.9.x and 10.200.10.x source addresses should be NATted as they
leave the routing process, but I can't get this done.  I grant you my
knowledge of Linux and IPTABLES is weak, which is why (after a week of
pulling teeth) I've posed the problem the list.

I've got this command in my script:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o EXTIF -j SNAT --to-source EXTIP

Which (the way I read it) should NAT ALL packets going OUT across the
external interface.  But I think what's happening is ONLY the packets
coming from the Linux box ir it's internal interface is getting natted
(which would be typical).  But I need to "tell" Linux that the other
subnets NEED the NATting as well.  Is that possible?

I've also tried this:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o EXTIF -j SNAT --to-source EXTIP
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.200.9.0/24 -o EXTIF -j SNAT
--to-source EXTIP
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.200.10.0/24 -o EXTIF -j SNAT
--to-source EXTIP

And that didn't work either.

Kevin