Re: Trying to get a Subnet NATted

> You're right, This isn't typical.  I have my WAN lines terminating at my
> ISP. They in turn forward these packets to me via the aDSL line.  That's
> the whole problem.  Because the Linux box "sees" them as being bound for
> another destination (the Internet in this case), The machine just
> forwards them along without modifing them (i.e. leaving the source
> address is unmodified) and my ISP's routers then kill these packets for
> being like this.

> The funny thing about this is:  I've got a MS Proxy Server 2.0, that's
> doing the natting for me now.  So it is possible - somehow.  I think I
> need to somehow tell my Linux machine that the packets with the
> 10.200.9.x and 10.200.10.x source addresses should be NATted as they
> leave the routing process, but I can't get this done.  I grant you my
> knowledge of Linux and IPTABLES is weak, which is why (after a week of
> pulling teeth) I've posed the problem the list.

I'm not familiar with MS Proxy server, but I believe a proxy server is a
potentially different situation.  It makes connections on behalf of clients,
it doesn't "route" the packets. In fact, in a typical proxy configuration,
packets will have a destination address of the proxy itself. Of course, you
specifically mention the MS Proxy server doing source NAT so maybe I'm
crazy;-)

Are you positive the linux box is actually "routing" this traffic (a couple
rules in the forward chain should tell you this)? It seems a little
counter-intuitive to call it routing if the traffic enters and leaves on the
same interface;-) I believe it is more normal for a router to tell the
client to "go-away" with an ICMP redirect in these situations. Let's suppose
it is though, I'm not sure why it would need anything different than the
current POSTROUTING rule? This is all wild speculation on my part of course,
but if the packets were truly being processed by the router I can't imagine
why they would be treated differently.  I wish I could be of more help.
Goodluck,

Matt