IPTables Feature set and performance.

O wise netfilter guruz, I pray unto thee in hopes you can answer my most
humble questions.

I have been all over the net and looked thru the mailing list archives, but
cannot find an answer to questions that have been asked a number of times,
but never with the proper specifications, so I will attempt to ask in a more
proper form.

First: netfilter vs pix

considering packet filtering only, and ignoring the "extra" things such as vpn
and pretty gui, administration costs, purchase price, and CYA.

What things can I do with an iptables firewall that I cannot do with a pix
firewall,  I know about log tagging, but what else?

If the "costs" are not an issue, and the cisco extras are not necessary, would
you go with a pix or a netfilter solution and why? (skip the 'cause linux
rulez answers).

It seems that every time that this question was asked in the past the answer
was "pix comes with cisco CYA", or "what about the admin overhead", or
"depends on your requirements".  I am interested (as I am sure others are) in
the technical differences.  I am not trying to build a business case.

Second: Performance

If I make a monolithic kernel with everything stripped out of it except for
the code I need to run a netfilter firewall with stateful inspection, and I
have only the basic ruleset (everything out, established+mail+web+ssh in,
drop illegal ip addresses and flag combinations). basically a network noise
filter. How many new connections per second can I expect to handle on what
type of box?  What type of thruput should I expect on what type of box?

Please note, I have both types of firewalls, and I am just trying to plan out
how many of what I should put where and why.  I really would prefer to use
netfilter over pix, it will be an educational exercise for me.  I can D/L
freeswan, and all the other goodies, and have plenty of boxen lying around
collecting dust, lots of time and get paid no matter what I decide to do (see
sig).

There has to be someone, somewhere, who understands what I am asking and has
the answers.  I have the asbestos underwear properly installed, so flame on.
I will summarize back to the list.

- --
Mike Taylor.  GSEC          Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis
Coordinator of Systems Administration and Network Security
Indiana State University.                      Rankin Hall Rm 039
210 N 7th St.                                           Terre Haute, IN.
Voice: 812-237-8843