Bridging firewall with iptables

I have been trying to get a bridging firewall setup with iptables.  The
iptables part, by itself, is not an issue.  I can get it done.  My
question is: has anyone here ever gotten the bridging + iptables
firewall to work?

I am using 2.4.19 (I never get anything but 2.4.19 with dmesg or uname
-a) with bridge-nf-0.0.7-against-2.4.19.diff for the bridging patch.  I
am following the documentation provided on bridge.sourceforge.org.

I d/l'ed the 2.4.19.  Patched with bridge patch above.  Made the kernel
with iptables support (most options as modules), "8021.d Ethernet
bridging" and "netfilter (firewalling) support" included.  Everything
compiled and installed without errors.  I added the interfaces to the
bridge interface per the directions.  Set all ip addresses to 0.0.0.0
promisc per the directions in the documentation.  The default rules for
iptables are allow for input, output and forward (forward is the only
one of importance).

At this point, I cannot get any devices on the 'outside' of the
firewall to reach anything 'inside' the firewall.  Since all the rules
are accept, it should work.  I get the feeling the problem may be with
the bridging portion.

Anyone gotten this bridge + firewall to work?

Thanks,
Pete