Best distro for firewalls.

I've been runnign on Sues for a few years now. Currently I run 8.0. But
I've been a little disappointed with there online updates, and a few
other things over all.  I'm looking for a good console only base system
install using an up to date well patched kernel. Also a very good update
system for patches. With SuSE since everything is controlled by Yast
updating manually really isn't a viable option. Can some of you give me
some input on like Redhat Dabian and such. Just so you know I typically
do an ftp install, with a custom configured Kernel and firewall scripts.

Rowan Reid
Job Captain,
Systems Administrator
STUDIO 3 ARCHITECTS