Re: nftables queue target aborts rules processing unconditionally

----- On Mar 3, 2017, at 5:01 PM, Florian Westphal fw@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Andreas Schultz <aschultz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ok, somewhat unexpected (or rather undocumented), but I can live
>> with that.
>>
>> I've now experimented with NF_REPEAT to achieve something similar.
>> Can I assume that NF_REPEAT should restart the current "netfilter hook*?
>
> Yes.
>
>> e.g. when we are somewhere in FILTER FORWARD, it will restart with the
>> first rule of that hook?
>
> It restarts the hook, yes.
>
>> My experiments show that this works with nft when I don't modify the
>> ruleset. However, when I modify the ruleset before returning NF_REPEAT,
>> the packet will skip the current hook completely.
>
> Hmm, that shouldn't happen.
> REPEAT should always just re-start the current hook.
> If that hook gets deleted (and possibly re-created) while packet was
> queued the kernel is supposed to drop the packet.

I intentionally created an endless loop with NF_REPEAT. Without the nft
modification it goes into the expected loop, but with the nft modification
it does not (see below for log).

>> I don't modify the chain the packet is currently traversing. I only add
>> new chains and modify the vmap.
>
> The netfilter infrastructure is a layer below nftables/iptables so it
> is not even aware of rule set modifications.

>> > No idea, I will have a closer look next week.
>> > Glancing at the code it should work just fine.
>>
>> There might a event buffering issue. I have now sometimes seen the queueing
>> trace. At other times the event is lost. So maybe the netlink buffer is not
>> large enough?
>
> How many events are there...?
> If there aren't hundreds of events going on that really should not be an
> issue.

The trace is really just the 10 or so events. Whether the queue event
is in there or not seems to be purely random:

trace id ed0492b0 ip filter client_to_any packet: iif "upstream" oif "ens256" ether saddr 00:50:56:96:9b:1c ether daddr 00:0c:29:46:1f:53 ether type ip6
trace id ed0492b0 ip filter client_to_any rule nftrace set 1 (verdict continue)
trace id ed0492b0 ip filter client_to_any rule counter packets 0 bytes 0 queue num 0 (verdict queue)
add chain ip filter CIn_1
add rule ip filter CIn_1 counter name "CIn_1_Session"
add rule ip filter CIn_1 ip daddr 172.20.16.0/24 counter packets 0 bytes 0 accept
add rule ip filter CIn_1 ip daddr 8.0.0.0/8 counter packets 0 bytes 0 accept
add chain ip filter COut_1
add rule ip filter COut_1 counter name "COut_1_Session"
add rule ip filter COut_1 ip saddr 172.20.16.0/24 counter packets 0 bytes 0 accept
add rule ip filter COut_1 ip saddr 8.0.0.0/8 counter packets 0 bytes 0 accept
trace id ed0492b0 ip mangle POSTROUTING verdict continue
trace id ed0492b0 ip mangle POSTROUTING

Regards
Andreas