Re: nftables queue target aborts rules processing unconditionally

Hi,

----- On Mar 3, 2017, at 4:41 PM, Florian Westphal fw@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Andreas Schultz <aschultz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The nft queueing seems to have broken the continuation of
>> rule processing when NF_ACCEPT is returned.
>
> No, see below
>
>> If have the following rules:
>>
>> table ip filter {
>> 	map client_to_any {
>> 		type ipv4_addr : verdict
>> 		elements = { 10.180.200.72 : goto CIn_1}
>> 	}
>>
>> 	chain FORWARD {
>> 		type filter hook forward priority 0; policy accept;
>> 		iif { "eth0"} counter packets 1 bytes 84 goto client_to_any
>>
>> 	chain client_to_any {
>> 		nftrace set 1 # handle 11
>> 		counter packets 1 bytes 84 ip saddr vmap @client_to_any # handle 12
>> 		counter packets 1 bytes 84 queue num 0 # handle 13
>> 		counter packets 0 bytes 0 # handle 14
>> 		counter packets 0 bytes 0 ip saddr vmap @client_to_any # handle 16
>> 		goto DENY # handle 17
>> 	}
>>
>> }
>> The idea is that the first packet for an yet unknown client will
>> bypass rules #12, match rule 13 and land in queue 0. The userspace
>> process then generates the appropriate rules and return an NF_ACCEPT
>> on the queue.
>>
>> This should continue the rule processing at rule #14 and finally
>> match on the update vmap in rule #16.
>
> No, unfortunately thats not how NF_QUEUE operates.
>
> On a QUEUE verdict the packet leaves the rule set context,
> both in iptables and nftables.
>
>> The problem is that the rule processing is not continuing as
>> you can see on the counters.
>>
>> http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/netfilter-hacking-HOWTO.txt
>> clearly states:
>>
>> > 1. NF_ACCEPT: continue traversal as normal.
>>
>> So, why is the processing aborted?
>
> NF_ACCEPT makes packets move to the next *netfilter hook*,
> but thats not the same as the next (nf|ip)tables rule.
>
> e.g. in iptables if you NFQUEUE in mangle input packet re-appears
> in filter input after an ACCEPT reinject.

ok, somewhat unexpected (or rather undocumented), but I can live
with that.

I've now experimented with NF_REPEAT to achieve something similar.
Can I assume that NF_REPEAT should restart the current "netfilter hook*?
e.g. when we are somewhere in FILTER FORWARD, it will restart with the
first rule of that hook?

My experiments show that this works with nft when I don't modify the
ruleset. However, when I modify the ruleset before returning NF_REPEAT,
the packet will skip the current hook completely.

I don't modify the chain the packet is currently traversing. I only add
new chains and modify the vmap.

>> It also appears as if the nft trace infrastructure does not now how to
>> deal with queues. The above rules lead to this annotated trace output:
>>
>> > trace id 10d53daf ip filter client_to_any packet: iif "upstream" oif "ens256"
>> > ether saddr 00:50:56:96:9b:1c ether daddr 00:0c:29:46:1f:53 ether type ip6
>>
>> That's rule #11... Where is the hit on the queue rule and the return??
>
> No idea, I will have a closer look next week.
> Glancing at the code it should work just fine.

There might a event buffering issue. I have now sometimes seen the queueing
trace. At other times the event is lost. So maybe the netlink buffer is not
large enough?

Thanks
Andreas