Re: conntrack, idle TCP connection and keep-alives

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 09:49:47PM +0100, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Oct 2013, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:

> > > Well, OK, we do need a flag to distinguish normal timeout from probe
> > > timeout. But still I don't see how we can do this without increasing the
> > > size of every conntrack by at least 4 bytes.
> >
> > Yes, you're right: PAWS assumes all packets carry timestamps option, an
> > option-less ACK isn't sufficient. And increasing every conntrack entry
> > does seem too expensive when the application itself could send keep-alive
> > packets.
>
> Looking at the source code, actually, the Linux TCP stack handles
> gracefully TCP packets without timestamp options when sender originally
> announced TCP timestamps. So it seems to me we could send a simple,
> option-less "keep-alive" packet. RFC1323 does not discuss the case but if
> the option is missing, stacks should fall back to the base handling,
> isn't it? ;-)

That would be one option. Alternatively we could just make it optional
by putting it into an extend or, looking at the NAT structure, shrink
it a bit more for the NAT case to make up for the size increase by
moving the PPtP helper data to an extend.