Re: NAT66 : A first implementation

On 7/14/11 19:48, Jul 14, Jeff Haran wrote:

People will use IPv6 NAT if they perceive its benefits outweigh its
costs.

Its costs will be significant. All that connection state tracking will
translate to more hardware. Managing multiple, possibly overlapping,
private network address spaces will mean more administrative headaches.

The benefit, hiding IPv6 address of hosts and routers in internal
networks, is I suspect less tangible. NAT in of itself doesn't provide
enough security to be relied upon solely, so you need firewalls in any
case. And unlike IPv4, you can't argue that you have to use NAT because
of lack of address space.

I think maybe we will get lucky. The bean counters may well keep the
specter of IPv6 NAT at bay. 8^)

I haven't had time to look at the thesis or implementation under discussion, so I don't know what it does. However, I do want to point out that the properties you describe are not necessarily true of all IPv6 NAT approaches. If you look at RFC 6296 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6296), you'll see that it does not require connection state tracking (or, indeed, any state tracking whatsoever). It even does some really clever manipulations that prevent it from having to recalculate packet checksums.

The handling of NAT between private address spaces -- even overlapping private address spaces -- is similarly clever (see section 2.2), and it even handles the multihoming case that Jan was insisting doesn't work (see section 2.4).

You are correct that NAT and firewalls are very different things, and the technique described in RFC 6296 makes this fact abundantly clear. It does so by removing the properties most IPv4 NATs have which people mistook for security features. It is a great conceptual untangling, which should help dispel this common misconception.

In terms of the tangible benefits... I'll defer to language in the RFC itself: "[This technique] provides a useful alternative to the complexities and costs imposed by multihoming using provider-independent addressing and the routing and network management issues of overlaid ISP address space." In medium to large enterprises, this can be a *substantial* operational cost reduction. Cost savings, coupled with stateless translation (== barely more hardware than you need for simple routing) start to tip the equation a bit.

So, really, before we do the whole "NATS BAD!" dogpile again, I'd encourage people take an unprejudiced look at the technique described in RFC 6296. There may actually be a place for NPTv6 in netfilter after all.

/a