Re: Performance issue due to constant "modprobes"

Hi

> In iptables, the options --enable-static and --enable-shared are
> semantically different from other projects.

Thanks for confirming - iptables also helpfully spells exactly this out
in the INSTALL doc (+1 for open source documentation!!)

>> Additionally, as helpfully pointed out by Jan, a chunk of my problem is
>> my static iptables apparently trying to probe a kernel module which
>> isn't incorporated into my kernel version.  I can't immediately see a
>> solution to not uselessly probing for that (without patching iptables)?
>> Any ideas?
>
> I would have said it could be the missing SET module being the cause for
> your modprobe time accumulation, but since you also use iptables-restore
> that possibility, too, is eliminated.

Yes, although these modules are being probed for even on a zero
(missing) input to iptables-restore.  However, that seems consistent
with a v1.4.10 iptables --enable-static based binary?  Presumably this
just probes everything?

(To be clear my test in my previous email was NOT using your git commit
to delay mod probing)

I will have to retest with your commit and without my hack to see
exactly what is still being probed for

Thanks

Ed W