Re: Performance issue due to constant "modprobes"

On Wednesday 2011-04-13 13:35, Ed W wrote:

>On 13/04/2011 10:10, Maciej Åenczykowski wrote:
>> I should probably point out that iptables module autoloading behaviour
>> is very different for a pre-my commit statically compiled, non-shared
>> iptables binary
>> vs a post-my commit or non-statically compiled binary.
>
>Aha.  I am using a static (well, --static --shared) iptables
>
>> The modprobe issue would only show up if you had a statically
>> compiled, non-shared iptables binary.
>> ie. one where all the extensions were already part of the iptables
>> binary and would always get initialized at startup (even for iptables
>> -h).
>
>Thanks - although my evidence suggests its simply the statically
>compiled bit which is enough to trigger this?  My binary is both static
>and shared (is that the correct term?)

In iptables, the options --enable-static and --enable-shared are
semantically different from other projects.

--enable-static/--disable-static decides whether [not] to put all
shipped plugins into the binary.

--enable-shared/--disable-shared selects whether the iptables-multi
binary will attempt to dlopen extensions when they have not already been
found inside the binary.

Which is really what people want. --enable-static is _not_ going to
produce a fully-static executable (one that would yield "not a dynamic
executable" when running ldd) in iptables.

>Additionally, as helpfully pointed out by Jan, a chunk of my problem is
>my static iptables apparently trying to probe a kernel module which
>isn't incorporated into my kernel version.  I can't immediately see a
>solution to not uselessly probing for that (without patching iptables)?
> Any ideas?

I would have said it could be the missing SET module being the cause for
your modprobe time accumulation, but since you also use iptables-restore
that possibility, too, is eliminated.