Re: inconsistent address treatment.

On Friday 2010-12-24 16:32, Stephen Clark wrote:

>>>So? you can't parse
>>>205.201.149.214/32-205.201.149.218/32
>>
>>a.b.c.d/32 is a prefix notation, even though it represents a single
>>address. IMO it does not make sense to use a prefix notation in an
>>interval, so I don't see why the parser should handle it. AFAICS, other
>>commands such as 'ip' from iproute don't accept /32 prefixes where a
>>single address is expected either.
>
>Well It is just one more idiosyncrasy one has to remember, when to me there
>is no obvious reason

Historical reasons.

Possible extra explanations:

- DNAT was added later than the -s argument, and someone thought
  it's better to use a range, since a range can be more expressive
  than addr[/prefixlen] for the same memory usage.
- On the other hand, since iptables also accepts addr[/mask], and it
  also allows /masks that are not representable as a /prefixlen, it
  is not necessarily specifying a contiguous range which may be
  useless to use with DNAT to some.