RE: [PROPOSAL]: Alias names for network interfaces

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:49:15 +0530
> <Narendra_K@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The installer solution involved renaming the network interface names
> > from ethN to something else based on the naming convention that the
> user
> > specified. For example, if the user chose "smbios names" as the the
> > naming convention then all ethN would be renamed to Embedded_NIC_N.
> > ifconfig would show Embedded_NIC_N instead of ethN.
>
> Renaming away from ethN causes some applications like net-snmp to get
> confused,
> and others have special sorting rules based on existing model (like
> quagga).
>
> I would argue that the "ethN" convention is part of existing system
> ABI and should not get changed in a visible way to applications.

Stephen,

Thanks. What are your views on the current proposal we are making where
ethN names are not changed (or renamed) and libnetdevname would suggest
alias names for the ethN names ( and also alias to ethN names) in user
space. Applications like ip, ethtool etc can use these aliases, make
calls to libnetdevname and get the ethN name.

Libnetdevname would read from sysfs the smbios names of the network
interface devices as Jordan mentioned
(/sys/class/net/ethX/device/smbiosname). Would this be acceptable ?

With regards,
Narendra K