Re: [PROPOSAL]: Alias names for network interfaces

On Thursday 2009-12-17 14:54, Narendra_K@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>We have been having discussions in the netdev list and
>anaconda-devel-list about creating multiple names for the network
>interfaces to bring determinism
>into the way network interfaces are named in the OSes. In specific,
>"eth0 in the OS does not always map to the integrated NIC Gb1 as labeled
>on the chassis". This resulted in failures where user space expected the
>port with link up to be "eth0", which in many cases would not be the
>case.
>For example, installers and firewall.

I concur, with one exception: if, considering a single multi-port
card, I get interface names in reverse to what is printed on the
adapter. That looks like a manufacturer fail.

The firewall does not care. Just keep the name constant, which is
what udev's 70-persistent-net.rules already does.

>* Installer would provide options to the users to name the interfaces
>based on different naming conventions such as
>
>a)Chassis label - For Ex: Embedded_NIC_1[23..]
>b)Driver based names - For Ex: bce0, bce1 etc

As far as I can tell, all (Ethernet) driver names default
to ethX (or wlanX) only.

>For example -
>
>/sbin/ifconfig Embedded_NIC_1
>/sbin/ip Embedded_NIC_N
>
>http://linux.dell.com/libnetdevname/patches/net-tools-1.60_libnetdevname
>.patch
>http://linux.dell.com/libnetdevname/patches/ethtool-6_libnetdevname.patc
>http://linux.dell.com/libnetdevname/patches/iproute2-2.6.29_libnetdevnam
>e.patch )
>
>We would like to know the views of the upstream maintainers of the tools
>about this proposal.

The development of net-tools has long ceased (since 2001), except
that no one seems to notice and everybody still applies voltage to a
dead horse. It's only going to smell bad.