Re: next iptables release

On Thursday 2009-03-19 14:16, Patrick McHardy wrote:

>> I planned to distribute the kernel module separately until 2.6.30
>> arrives, add a page to conntrack-tools.netfilter.org, document this in
>> the conntrack-tools manual [1] to describe the active-active setup, and
>> so on. Basically, my motivation is to get some feedback from people as
>> soon as possible without waiting the whole kernel cycle release.
>>
>> I know that this seems something exceptional and it may confuse people.
>> Another choice is to keep it in pom-ng in the meantime, or perhaps
>> simply be a little bit patient :).
>>
>> [1] http://conntrack-tools.netfilter.org/manual.html
>
> How about just adding it as first commit after the release? That way
> people can get the latest stable version, including support for the
> cluster match. Otherwise they'd have to patch in the the extension
> anyways.

I am all for including it now. Distributions are known to forget
updating iptables, so the earlier it gets included, the higher is the
chance distros pick it [a new iptables release] up. Users (or these
days, too, Debian) often upgrading their kernel yet not dare to
manually install anything outside the package manager's realm, that
is my impression. For example etchnhalf — nice kernel, but it is
hopeless with the iptables version to get the new goodies.