Re: next iptables release

Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
Patrick McHardy wrote:
Great :). BTW, I'm finishing the cluster match manpage, I'll be done
tonight, I'd like to see it in this iptables release (even if the
feature is expected to appear in 2.6.30).
I have to ask .. why? :)

Besides potentially confusing people (why doesn't it work despite me
doing everything the manpage says), what are the advantages of including
the manpage before the actual implementation?

I planned to distribute the kernel module separately until 2.6.30
arrives, add a page to conntrack-tools.netfilter.org, document this in
the conntrack-tools manual [1] to describe the active-active setup, and
so on. Basically, my motivation is to get some feedback from people as
soon as possible without waiting the whole kernel cycle release.

I know that this seems something exceptional and it may confuse people.
Another choice is to keep it in pom-ng in the meantime, or perhaps
simply be a little bit patient :).

[1] http://conntrack-tools.netfilter.org/manual.html

How about just adding it as first commit after the release? That way
people can get the latest stable version, including support for the
cluster match. Otherwise they'd have to patch in the the extension
anyways.