Re: next iptables release

Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
>> Patrick McHardy wrote:
>>> I've planned to release the next iptables version sometime (late)
>>> this weekend. We've had quite a lot of changes since the last
>>> version, please test the latest version from git and report any
>>> issues.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> Great :). BTW, I'm finishing the cluster match manpage, I'll be done
>> tonight, I'd like to see it in this iptables release (even if the
>> feature is expected to appear in 2.6.30).
>
> I have to ask .. why? :)
>
> Besides potentially confusing people (why doesn't it work despite me
> doing everything the manpage says), what are the advantages of including
> the manpage before the actual implementation?

I planned to distribute the kernel module separately until 2.6.30
arrives, add a page to conntrack-tools.netfilter.org, document this in
the conntrack-tools manual [1] to describe the active-active setup, and
so on. Basically, my motivation is to get some feedback from people as
soon as possible without waiting the whole kernel cycle release.

I know that this seems something exceptional and it may confuse people.
Another choice is to keep it in pom-ng in the meantime, or perhaps
simply be a little bit patient :).

[1] http://conntrack-tools.netfilter.org/manual.html

--
"Los honestos son inadaptados sociales" -- Les Luthiers