Re: [RFC] Add __initbss section

Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Franck Bui-Huu wrote:
>> After spending some fun time trying several different configurations
>> with gcc and ld, I noticed that gcc makes a section with @nobits
>> attribute if the section name starts with .bss.*
>
>  Exactly how GCC sets section flags is mostly determined by
> default_section_type_flags() in gcc/varasm.c; some flags are set elsewhere
> too.  This is with HEAD of GCC.

It seems that we can rely on this behaviour. I looked at gcc 4.1.2/3.2
sources and they made a section part of .bss if the section name starts
with ".bss.".

>> Another test I did is to put .init.bss (not .bss.init) section right
>> before .bss section in order to have only one segment to load. And it
>> makes magically ld do the right thing. I must admit that I don't
>> understand why, and the lack of documentation doesn't help...
>
>  Hmm, isn't what `info ld' says enough?

Hmm, I'm must be blind but I missed that each time I read it. Could
you point out the section number please ?

OK, I think the best thing to do now is to respin the patchset and
submit it linux arch mailing list.

thanks,

		Franck