Re: Portmap on the Encore M3

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 23:38 +0000, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 10:46:47AM -0800, Ashlesha Shintre wrote:
>
> > > RPC: sendmsg returned error 128.
> > > <4>nfs: RPC call returned error 128
>
> 128 = ENETUNREACH.
Thank you -

> > I m trying to boot the 2.6.14.6 kernel onto the Encore M3 board that has
> > the MIPS AU1500 processor on it.
>
> For more information [1] about 2.6.14 kernels see http://tinyurl.com/hjexx ;-)
>
> > The .config file contains the following line: CONFIG_PORTMAP=y
> > The server from which the NFS is mounted is also running the portmap
> > daemon..
> >
> > Is there a way to check if the portmap server is functioning properly?
> >

> > Also:
> >
> > - The BogoMIPS value is 7186 which seems too low for the AU1500 -- how
> > can I check that the timer interrupt is being handled correctly?  The
> > AU1500 has 2 counters which are used to generate a clock
> >
> > - On the serial console I can only see messages upto this point:
> >

> > > 16.35 BogoMIPS (lpj=8176)
>
> Sounds about right if your CPU clock hapens to be 8MHz so probably not.
> Chances the counter was missprogrammed.  Or are you running uncached?
> Uncached will completly devastate performance.

For the AU1500 processor, the CPU Clock is derived from the PLL whose
input is 12MHz.. Upon reading the value of the SYS_CPUPLL register in
the calibrate_delay function, I found out that the multiplying factor is
40, thus, the CPU Clock frequency is 480MHz.. Thus the lpj should be
approximately 480000 -- right?

Also I dont know what you mean by "running uncached"?

> > > calibrate delay done
> > > anon vma init done
> > > Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
> > > Checking for 'wait' instruction...  unavailable.
> > > NET: Registered protocol family 16
> > > size of au1xxx platform devices is 1
> >
> > After this, the serial console 'hangs' -- I can see the RPC error from the log buffer, accessed from the JTAG port..
> > --Please give any suggestions as to where I should start looking to narrow down and figure out the problem..
>
> At about this point the actual console driver is registered and takes
> over from the early console driver - whatever that may be in your case.
> So seems the early console driver is fine but the actual console driver
> (that is serial driver) is falling over.

Thanks a lot, I will check the problem with the serial driver -- i m
using the 8250.c serial driver..

There is no early console init funciton:  The board has a serial port on
a VIA 686B Southbridge on the PCI bus -- so to get the kernel messages
on the console, before initialising the serial driver I just write a TLB
entry giving the address of the VIA on the PCI bus --

So maybe deleting this TLB entry before serial driver initialisation
might work at this point...I will try that next -

>   Ralf
>
> [1] Okay, I'm just trying to convince people to upgrade :-)
I will convey your message to my boss :-)

Thanks again,
Ashlesha.