Re: RFC: au1000_etc.c phylib rewrite

On May 3, 2006, at 11:34, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:

hello *

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 11:20 -0500, Mark Schank wrote:
At 08:23 AM 5/2/06 +0200, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 15:09 -0500, Mark Schank wrote:
The Cogent CSB655 used the Broadcom Dual Phy. They eventually redesigned the board and switched to two single Broadcom phys, but they continued to
control both phys through MAC0, which is the actual purpose of the
dual-phy
hack.  I am a user of the CSB655, so I sort of care.

Will the new PHY framework allow a second PHY for a second MAC (MAC1) be
controlled from the first MAC's (MAC0) mdio interface?

That definitely isn't a problem (though it looks like you've probably figured that out). The original user (gianfar) has a similar setup, where all 2-4 NICs use TSEC0's MII interface to control the PHYs. It was actually one of the reasons for writing it in the first place--to more cleanly share that interface between several different device instances.

should'nt be a problem (as opposed to the bosporus case... see below)... I assume the phy-addresses on which the boarcom dual phy is configured
are the same for all Cogent CSB655 boards?

Dual PHY configuration:
     MAC0 - phy addr 4
     MAC1 - phy addr 3
Single PHY configuration:
     MAC0 - phy addr 1
     MAC1 - phy addr 0

while at it, does anyone happen to know what the phy-addr/MAC assignment
on the XXS1500 is?

does this need to be autodetected dynamically at runtime, or can we rely on a compile time Kconfig-conditional to set a static phy-addr<- >eth% d-phy mapping for this board-specific case? Or de we really need such a
complex mii_probe() function to detect weird scenarios? :)

The compile time Kconfig-conditional should be okay. The driver need to
handle the fact that the MAC1's phy is controlled by MAC0's mdio
interface. This means that MAC0 controller can not be disabled when the associated eth% device is down, otherwise you lose the ability to control
MAC1's phy.

...or at least, the MAC associated with the particular MII bus should be
brought up if necessary before any mdio access (that's what I'm
implementing right now)

but one thing that seems strange to me; CONFIG_BCM5222_DUAL_PHY doesn't seem to be defined anywhere; shouldn't that be at least defined in some Kconfig file, especially if the XXS1550 board is supposed to make use of
it?

btw, is the CSB655 supported at all in the 2.6 linux-mips branch, I
couldn't find any mention of it in Kconfig files either?

using static phy addr mappings would also allow for setting
board-specific phy-irq assignments, which would then be handled by the phylib facilities, instead of polling the status of phy with a timer; (and in case we don't have any board-specific compile time setting, we can still fall back to search the phy-addresses for a PHY at runtime as
the generic case)

Will the phylib facilities handle the case where two phys share a single IRQ?

afaics from the source, it doesn't handle the case of multiplexed phy
notification irqs; although the interrupt is requested with the SA_SHIRQ
flag, the first phy-interrupt-handler to be called already returns
IRQ_HANDLED... doesn't feel right in some way ;-)

The PHY layer does handle multiplexed interrupts (I've got boards with 4 PHYs sharing the same IRQ). While I'm not sure returning IRQ_HANDLED is the perfect implementation, I'm not sure there are any options. I've worked pretty hard to ensure that PHY transactions don't occur in interrupt context so that it's possible to implement a driver that has an interrupt signal the end of a transaction. As such, reading the PHY interrupt status cannot happen in the interrupt handler, which means the interrupt handler doesn't have the ability to determine whether any particular invocation is handling the actual cause of the interrupt.

From what I've seen of the interrupt code, this is only an issue if a spurious interrupt starts troubling the same line the PHY is using. Does anyone disagree, or have some better suggestion for how to handle this?