is cp0 interrupt infrastructure sufficient..?

I have a generic question regarding interrupt controler functionality
integrated in CP0 on mips architecture.
I don't see any interface to configure the edge/level triggering settings.

though in our BSP we take care of handling spurious interrupts , but is
this designed to be like that..?

I mean to ask , suppose I want to add a edge triggering peripheral
, to the extent of my understanding this will certainly generate the
spurious interrupts when coupled with a level triggering configuration
in CP0 (by default..?).

if i am handling through CP0_CAUSE or any other register inspection
that can work but I am loosing so many valid interupts which would have been really valid with edge trigger pin of interrupt controller  .
further this type of handling is valid for actual spurious interrupts
not for those who are certain to be fired because of edge/level mismatching.

Best Regards,
Ashish Anand