question regarding put data in the specified section

Hi there,

Does anyone know how to put my userland program's data in a specified section?

I know there is an attribute "section" to put my data inside a specified section, for example, int data __attribute__ ((section("INITDAT"));
But how do I initialize/setup the INITDAT section? We use the commercial toolchain, and we don't have the source code for it, is there still a way to specify the postion of the INITDAT section?

Thanks in advance!

Teresa