Re: PCI Graphics/Video Card for Malta Board?

From: "Jun Sun" <jsun@mvista.com>
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> >>I can think of two things. First, a lot of graphics cards
> >>rely on BIOS calls to be set up before the operating system
> >>even boots. Second, I would stick to graphics cards that
> >>have framebuffer support in the kernel as you stand at least
> >>half a chance that those cards don't rely so heavily on a
> >>peecee bios. Just my $.02.
> >>

> > Even then, most frame buffer device drivers rely on the firmware (PC BIOS or
> > SPARC/PPC Open Firmware) having set up the video card.
> >
> > One of the exceptions is matroxfb,
>

> Steve Longerbeam has a fb driver with BIOS init for ATI Xpert98 card, which
> you can still buy.

Yeah, but it's a pretty wimpy card (8MB) and has no TV output.

> Dan Malek also wrote a driver for MQ200.

Which is essentially a handheld/webphone graphics chip,
for which the documentation is only available under NDA.
Not terribly useful for me, thanks.

> If you ask  around, I am sure you can the patch somewhere.

I *am* asking around - that's why I started this thread.

> For a while, I also had 3dfx voodoo3 working.  Not sure about its status now.
>   You can find the patch at http://www.medex.hu/~danthe/tdfx/.

3dfx, in case you hadn't heard, folded some time ago.

So it sounds like the Matrox G450 PCI is really the only
game in town...

            Kevin K.