Re: 3 questions about linux-2.4.18 and R3000

Alexandr Andreev wrote:

> Jun Sun wrote:
>
>> I took a look of the arch_get_unmapped_area(),  and it looks fine to me.
>>
>> Can you try the following changes and let me know what happens?
>>
>> 1) change COLOUR_ALIGN
>> #define COLOUR_ALIGN(addr,pgoff)     addr
>

> OK, It works for me.

That indicate the logic of function works.

So the problems might lie on something else:

1) some caller pass in non-zero addr but does not check the return addr and
assume the addr remains the same.

2) given the reported toolchain, I will double-check to see if COLOUR_ALIGN()
is compiled correctly.  It is mildly complex.

I would be also interested to know if removing filp condition would solve your
problem.  Nobody has explained why this condition is needed for doing
COLOUR_ALIGN().

>> We have been using gcc 2.9.5 and binutils 2.10.x for R3000 CPUs for
>> quite a  while with no problems.  It seems newer gcc and binutiles are
>> fine too.
>>
> I understand, but is there any __official__ recommended versions of these
> utils? http://oss.sgi.com/mips/mips-howto.html is out-of-date :(

Who are the "officiers" to decide on __official__ versions? :-)  If you are
really uncomfortable with non-official stuff, you might want to consider
paying some vendor and I am sure you will be given an "official" version.

Jun