Re: new asm-mips/io.h

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 07:10:22PM +0900, Atsushi Nemoto wrote:

> ralf> Well, talk to it's developers before it's too late.  Or as it
> ralf> has already happened for some hardware I think we should simply
> ralf> go with your suggestion and make all those functions vectors.
>
> For me, currently it happens only in big endian and I can live happy
> in a little endian world.  I will create new patch when I REALLY need
> it.  Thank you.

Right now the Linux philosophy is that we don't provide any swapping
facility for I/O port accesses.  Some hardware supports byteswapping for I/O
port and memory access, others must do that in software't, so big endian
systems can set CONFIG_SWAP_IO_SPACE to enable swapping for I/O ports and
memory.  In the past there has been quite some confusion about this and
how to use this properly in drivers ...

  Ralf