Re: arch/mips/pci* stuff

Gleb,

Sorry to get back to this late.  I have been on a trip.

If I understand you correctly, your major argument is that "we do scan first,
so that we can do resource assignment more easily because we have got all the
dev structures and lists".

This unfortunately may not work, mainly because the PCI bridge may not be
setup properly so the scan results may be incomplete or invalid.

However, I do see your point.  Actually the most desirable result might be
that we do the resource assignement while we do the scan.

I think more and more people are realizing that bus number assignment and
fixup must be done separately and done at the beginning.  It is a more
complicated problem.  For example, in a multi-CPU cPCI system, you don't want
to re-assign bus numbers unless you are the first CPU to boot up.

pci_auto.c is not the ultimate solution.  But the nice thing is that it solves
the broken firmware problem and yet still works with pci_scan_bus() scheme.

My personal view is that we ultimately should do something like this:

1. do one pass scan for PCI bridges and do bus number assigment or fixup.

2. based on the above results, we should have a uniformed access to all
devices on all buses (such as read_pci_config(busno, ...)).

3. do another pass of pci scan to discover pci devs and assign proper
resources.

Note currently we have constraints that physical address space is the same as
PCI memory space and multiple PCI addr spaces are usually collapsed into a
single flat space.  We really should remove those constraints so that we can
utilize the full PCI space which is rather abundant for today's systems.

BTW, I think your pcibios_assign_resources(bus) function may have already been
implemented in the current pci code.  See pbus_assign_resources().  Those
functions are relatively new.  I have not got time to fully digest them yet.

Jun