Re: arch/mips/pci* stuff

Jun,

Jun Sun wrote:

> Gleb,
>
> Sorry to get back to this late.  I have been on a trip.
>
> If I understand you correctly, your major argument is that "we do scan first,
> so that we can do resource assignment more easily because we have got all the
> dev structures and lists".

Yes. Also, "no code duplication".

> This unfortunately may not work, mainly because the PCI bridge may not be
> setup properly so the scan results may be incomplete or invalid.

You may control pci_scan_bridge by pcibios_assign_all_busses, just
return 0 from the latter and the code in pci_scan_bridge assigns all
numbers itself.

> However, I do see your point.  Actually the most desirable result might be
> that we do the resource assignement while we do the scan.
>
> I think more and more people are realizing that bus number assignment and
> fixup must be done separately and done at the beginning.  It is a more
> complicated problem.  For example, in a multi-CPU cPCI system, you don't want
> to re-assign bus numbers unless you are the first CPU to boot up.

Thus, pcibios_assign_all_busses should just check CPU number.

> pci_auto.c is not the ultimate solution.  But the nice thing is that it solves
> the broken firmware problem and yet still works with pci_scan_bus() scheme.
>
> My personal view is that we ultimately should do something like this:
>
> 1. do one pass scan for PCI bridges and do bus number assigment or fixup.
>
> 2. based on the above results, we should have a uniformed access to all
> devices on all buses (such as read_pci_config(busno, ...)).
>
> 3. do another pass of pci scan to discover pci devs and assign proper
> resources.

You definitely can't mix device discovering and assignment of resources
in one pass a on a multi-board cPCI system.

While you may implement the algorithm above, I think it isn't necessary.
Between my previous mail and your reply, I just implemented pcibios_
calls for a mips board that has 2 PCI busses with a PCI bridge between.
Yes, BIOS doesn't initialize PCI properly.

What I had to do is just call pci_scan_bus,
pci_assign_unassigned_resources, and provide callbacks for

- pcibios_fixup_bus (sets bus->resource[] to board private resources
describing PCI spaces for root bus and to corresponding bridge resources
for child bus. For the latter case, I had to inherit values from parent
bus also.)

- pcibios_update_resource (just write supplied value to the
configuration register)

- pcibios_fixup_pbus_ranges (convert addresses on the system bus to
addresses on PCI bus)

I also implemented registration of resources in the global resource
tree, but it's not necessary.

The only problem I observed is that PCI code treats 0 as invalid
address. It's bad but non-fatal.

> BTW, I think your pcibios_assign_resources(bus) function may have already been
> implemented in the current pci code.  See pbus_assign_resources().  Those
> functions are relatively new.  I have not got time to fully digest them yet.

I had. Basically, pci_assign_unassigned_resources will do the job if
pcibios_fixup_bus will provide places for bus->resources.

Regards,
Gleb.