Re: Binary compatibility break understood ?

> > To avoid any further confusion, which then are the versions
> > ( & patches ) of binutils / gcc / libc needed to get a
> > linux mips toolchain we can use until the end of time?
>
> I routinely publish just such a thing at
> oss.sgi.com:/pub/linux/mips/mips-linux/simple/crossdev.  Many others

Thanks for the pointer. Any reason why the tar files are not compressed?

> publish similar toolchains regularly - see the list archives for
> pointers.

Sorry for asking for a bit of clarity on this. There are indeed many
others publishing their own cross-dev toolchains on their ftp site.
So far it has not been easy for me to find the version that I need,
i.e. a version that compiles the latest linux/mips cvs tree on solaris.
Too many versions, too many patches, and no central repository for
tools have caused me too many headaches. How naive I was when I started
from the webpage "How to build a cross compiler for Linux/MIPS"
(I use the mirror at http://www.village.org/villagers/imp/build.html),
looking desperately for the files that are referenced there ....

> None of them have expiration dates; you are free to use
> them forever.  If you never change software you'll never lose binary
> compatibility.  Likewise, you'll never get any bug fixes or new
> features either.

I was not being serious, I know it is unthinkable to be using the same
version forever. I just hope there will come a time where I can spend
more time on actually using the tools than trying to solve the problems
I have with them.

Greetz,

Tom