Re: Binary compatibility break understood ?

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 09:56:28AM +0200, Tom Appermont wrote:

> To avoid any further confusion, which then are the versions
> ( & patches ) of binutils / gcc / libc needed to get a
> linux mips toolchain we can use until the end of time?

I routinely publish just such a thing at
oss.sgi.com:/pub/linux/mips/mips-linux/simple/crossdev.  Many others
publish similar toolchains regularly - see the list archives for
pointers.  None of them have expiration dates; you are free to use
them forever.  If you never change software you'll never lose binary
compatibility.  Likewise, you'll never get any bug fixes or new
features either.

If you mean a set of tools and libraries with which everything in the
future will always be binary compatible, we should talk - I have a
very attractive bridge I'm looking to get rid of.

Binary compatibility is irrelevant in a source-enabled world and
exists only long enough to make sure the previous release that broke
compatibility finishes compiling before the next such release comes
out.

--
Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@foobazco.org> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------