Re: kerning with Ming

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 02:06:04PM +0200, Benjamin Wolsey wrote:
> > > This kerning patch changes the expected results in a Gnash test for
> > > TextSnapshot (misc-ming.all/TextSnapshotTest.c for anyone interested);
> > > is there a way to turn it off? If not, we will have problems dealing
> > > with different ming versions.
> >
> > I guess the only way to be version-independent would be for Gnash
> > to use a font with no kerning informations in it.
> > Don't think it's worth providing for Ming a way to not use kernings.
>
> I can't find any description of what's changed in ming. Is there a
> commit log or an updated changelog anywhere?

discussion was unfortunately in private mail.
Anyway the core is that kerning is now used to change the advance
value for glyphs in the static text.

It's still being explored wheter adding actual kernings in the
font can be used by the player. I've tried with static text with
no luck (ie: embedding kerning info in the font used by the static
text doesn't change the static text rendering).

> The fdb file we use hasn't changed at all in the last two years. Does
> this mean that it has always had kerning information, but that this
> wasn't used by ming when calculating advance values?

Correct.

> If so, how do we remove the kerning from an fdb file?

Now that's a good question.
I guess if you extract the fdb from an SWF generated by an
older Ming you should get no kerning (those not being embedded
in the SWF).
See listfdb in Ming utils (not sure about it as I never used it).

--strk;