kerning with Ming

Hello,

I’m stuck for one week on kerning problem with Ming library and I’m desperate to find any solution.

I’m using Ming 0.2.a since 20002 in a commercial web site and it works fine especially with kerning in text.

I’m migrating now to a new server and I have installed the version 0.4.3 and I cannot succeed to have kerning in text like I did.

With FDB fonts :

As the author of the patch has warning,  ttf2fft tool is not working for kerning. I figured out there is no kerning pair in the output fft file. I found many errors.  I have debugged the script and it generate now fdb files with kerning pair info. I can provide this corrected script online for anyone but for the moment my fdb files with kerning info don’t work yet. I don’t really know the cause. Is there any things I have missed ? A special instruction to enable kerning ? Has anyone succeed a good kerning running with a FDB file ?

Here is my script :

http://test.cartevisite.be/studio/cgi/kern.cgi

The V and A must be much closer.

I join the source of my perl script and can send the FDB file I have created with my ttf2fft.

With TTF fonts :

I never succeed to have kerning. I’m using Freetype 2.3.9. The kerning is normally executed by Freetype. I read somewhere that “basic ttf was implemented”. So my question is simple : does kerning ever worked with TTF fonts with ming 0.4.3 ?

Thanks a lot for your help. If I can find a solution, I’m ready to publish the solution on one page to help anyone having real kerning.

Best regards.

Benoît DUFOUR

benoit@xxxxxxxxx

+33 (0)5 59 24 09 02