Another ming noob questoin (clarification needed)

I would again like to thank all those for their quick response to my previous question.

Anyways, I have another question, this time regarding the loading of png images by ming.

After reading through the documentation I have been able to find, I came across several source that say that to load png images, one needs to convert the png to another file that can be loaded my ming since there isn't native support for this file format. That's fine, but I was then confused when I came across http://www.gazbming.com/ and its png2swf example.

In this example a png image is loaded directly through the code:

// image to add to movie
$img="png.png";

 // add it and move it to x:50 y:50
$png = new SWFBitmap(fopen($img,"rb"));
$f1 = $movie->add($png);

Now, is this because the documentation I had read is out of date or is something else going on? Is this a correct way of loading a png image?

By the way, I am using the libming 0.3beta1 PHP module where I have got this code to work for me.

Thank you,

Jordan