Re: -mhpattern on NT systems?

On December 7, 2000 at 15:31, Reini Urban wrote:

> Earl Hood wrote:
> > On December 3, 2000 at 21:51, Gerry Hickman wrote:
> > > When using the -mhpattern command line parameter on Windows NT it seems
> > > I must enclose the regex in double quotes. Single quotes and forward
> > > slashes do not appear to work.
> >
> > Windows' command shell does support quoting like Unix-based shells do.
-------------------------------^
			I forgote the "not".

> CMD.EXE not, and COMMAND.COM neither.
> '' is not supported.
> " \"..\" " doesn't work as well, which is needed for many perl one-liners
> searching for strings.
> Therefore I have to use bash.exe or tcsh.exe or use the octal equivalent of "
> .
> best is the latest cygwin bash.
>
> But forward slashes do work on NT as pathname delimiters.

Because internally forward slashes are used by the OS.

> > Use an OS with real command-line shells ;^)
>
> This is not OS dependent. bash and tcsh work fine on NT.

And bash and tcsh come from the Unix world and users of them typically
expect to have Unix-type utilities.  I'm a Cygwin user myself.  BTW,
bash and tcsh require cygwin since it provides a unix system call
interface to Win32.  I have not seen any native bash or tcsh programs
for Win32.  MKS Toolkit does provide a ksh.

--ewh