Re: -mhpattern on NT systems?

Earl Hood wrote:
> On December 3, 2000 at 21:51, Gerry Hickman wrote:
> > When using the -mhpattern command line parameter on Windows NT it seems
> > I must enclose the regex in double quotes. Single quotes and forward
> > slashes do not appear to work.
>
> Windows' command shell does support quoting like Unix-based shells do.

CMD.EXE not, and COMMAND.COM neither.
'' is not supported.
" \"..\" " doesn't work as well, which is needed for many perl one-liners
searching for strings.
Therefore I have to use bash.exe or tcsh.exe or use the octal equivalent of ".
best is the latest cygwin bash.

But forward slashes do work on NT as pathname delimiters.

> Use an OS with real command-line shells ;^)

This is not OS dependent. bash and tcsh work fine on NT.

> Who knows what the rules are in a Windows Scripting Host?
> Is possible to have it call a wrapper
> Perl(?) script that then calls MHonArc with arguments you need?

that depends how the command is called. normally they spawn a subshell
and garble the args then. calling perl.exe or via OLE (PerlEz) directly would
help but is not general enough.
e.g. apache requires the correct she-bang path to perl
  #!/usr/bin/perl or #!d:\perl\bin\perl.exe

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/news/faq/autolisp.html