Re: Any news on N9 release?

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011, Valeri Galtsev�wrote:
googloids/androids have a big chunk of kernel which is closed source, and
it is nowhere documented/published what it does on "your" device.

It's not as if all Maemo/Meego products are non-proprietary. For example, there are many N8X0 drivers that were closed source as there's been a project to get some of that corrected since that generation's hardware has been abandoned;�http://elinux.org/N800

But if you're looking for a platform free of binary blobs, etc., then you may wish to use Trisquel for the desktop. There's an LXDE "mini" distro that's good for netbooks but I don't know of any modern tablets that it will run on -- but then I haven't had the desire to research it. The Openmoko project has struggled along and released some hardware and cancelled several others. And they might have lasted longer if all the GNU zealots had banded together and put their money where their mouths are.

-Gary