Re: oh 3g, 3g, wherefore art thou 3g

There are two main GSM operators in U.S: T-Mobile and AT&T. They use different bands for 3G. N900 can connect with 3G when in T-Mobile network but not when in AT&T network.
You can find the bands used by the two operators on these wikipedia pages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile_USA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT&T_Mobility

Also I am pretty sure that there is no special N900 HW for US markets. The same HW is used all around the world (although I seem to have forgotten already a lot of the N900 technical details...)

Hartti