oh 3g, 3g, wherefore art thou 3g

Hi guys, could it be that a magic setting exist some where?

I'm currently in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Never have I seen my network
indicator go above 2.5g, I bought my wife an android motorola backflip
and it is most of the time indicating 3g.

Is there no real 3g networks in Argentina? is my Nokia N900 missing
the band that is active here for 3g?

Any ways, if someone from Argentina, or if someone knows about this,
please help me understand or set my phone correctly. I traveled to
Italy and England last September and my phone went even up to 4g in
Cortina d' Ampezzo.

f(t)