RE: Download of 10MB after internet connection

Sorry about being a little late to this discussion.  If people are still interested, I have a few other thoughts to consider.

First, the assumption is that it is the checking for updates that is using up the bandwidth.  Keep in mind that it could be other things, such as fMMS if you use it, email, Ovi Maps, or even some of the social networking tools like Pidgin, etc.

Whatever the cause, I always try to always disable automatic checking, and then do my checking manually when I am connected to WiFi, e.g. running

apt-get update and apt-get upgrade from the command prompt when I am connected to my home network.

I also don't automatically connect to my 3G network.  I stay disconnected except when I need to connect.

Aldon