QA Proposals (was Re: Quality assurance of "stable" software: my battery drained in few hours)

On 29/05/10 17:52, Sivan Greenberg wrote:
Yes, I am working on this :) Real life and bills paying can sometimes
get in the way but I'm slowly going back to being fully active with
MeeGo.

I will send a notification to go over and review [0] once it is
finished, as so far I outlined the tools that will enable us better QA
but have not expanded them and elaborated.

Then I would ask the TSG to approve the team creation, which would
also attempt to engage users in QA and specific niche testing of the
software we deliver.

Hi Sivan

Just checking :
[0]: http://wiki.meego.com/Proposal_for_a_Quality_Assurance_working_group
and
maemo-developers mailing list
So we should really take (or at least cc) the QAWG to meego-dev (but see later)

However could you look at:
  http://wiki.meego.com/Proposal_for_a_Repository_working_group
Having spent quite a lot of time pushing for *something* to be done in this area I'd like to suggest that the successor to the RWG encompases this kind of QA activity.

Personally, I'd also suggest that you forget about Working Groups.... the powers that be don't seem interested in setting up WGs for much other than product direction at the moment; certainly they won't (AFAIUI) set one up for just QA; it would be expected to fall under a larger umbrella. See the various TSG logs for the past few months for my (lbt) attempts and more useful URLs.

Of course there's also the "Meeting call for Community application support" that you responded to on the -community ml. Lets follow up in that meeting.

Right... now the "see later":

I actually don't think there's much point in doing MeeGo QA policy right now anyway; I think we'd be *far* better off working on Maemo QA for Fremantle ... and Harmattan.
We have an established community and real devices to work with.

We're also working on moving the build and QA infrastructure in Maemo towards the same basic shape that I think we'll see in MeeGo (ie an OBS driven approach). FYI I'm also working on workflow automation and integration with image and test systems internally for Nokia and we expect those solutions to be OSS and deployed on maemo.org meego.com(munity)

So if we work on a decent solution for Maemo and ensure it's suitable for MeeGo then we solve a lot of real-world issues.

David
--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."