Re: Dealing with N900 responsiveness (or lack of thereof)

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 12:10 +0200, ext Dawid Lorenz wrote:

> On 20 April 2010 16:52, Dawid Lorenz <adl@xxxxxx> wrote:
>         I'd like to follow-up on this a little. Basically, after
>         nearly two months since launching this thread and moving my
>         N900 into much lower swappiness value (I currently have 30),
>         frankly I can't see much difference. What usually happens is
>         that after few days of overall performance gets horribly
>         undermined, probably due to more and more things getting into
>         swap space. Sometimes I struggle to take a call, just because
>         screen doesn't really catch up on time. Utterly frustrating,
>         so in order to remain sane, I simply have to reboot the
>         device, just in order to "refresh" memory. Not very
>         convenient.
>
> I did a test with swapoff -a today, which completely cleared swap
> space, yet despite Conky reporting about 70'ish percent of overall RAM
> usage, so with pretty good margin available, I couldn't launch any
> application, as it has been kicked out with "Too many applications
> opened" message. Is there some kind of internal maximum limit of
> memory usage beyond which launching any app is refused?

There is a RAM calculation done in hildon-desktop before starting new
applications, to avoid extreme slowness in the system when RAM gets too
tight. Perhaps the calculation does not handle this swapless situation
well. See hd_app_mgr_activate() in src/launcher/hd-app-mgr.c.

-Kimmo