Re: Dealing with N900 responsiveness (or lack of thereof)

On 22 February 2010 16:43, Dawid Lorenz <adl@xxxxxx> wrote:

Other thing I've noticed is system swappiness value, which is 100 by default. What I've learned [2] is that 100 value favours moving stuff to swap space quite frequently, which makes some sort of sense with experience I've got. I have rebooted my N900 today and set swappiness value to 60 by echo 60 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness, however I am not sure whether that's right way of setting this (article refers to /etc/sysctl.conf file which simply doesn't exists in my rootfs, or perhaps is stored elsewhere). Anyway, I am going to observe how system overall performance evolves over next couple of days.

I'd like to follow-up on this a little. Basically, after nearly two months since launching this thread and moving my N900 into much lower swappiness value (I currently have 30), frankly I can't see much difference. What usually happens is that after few days of overall performance gets horribly undermined, probably due to more and more things getting into swap space. Sometimes I struggle to take a call, just because screen doesn't really catch up on time. Utterly frustrating, so in order to remain sane, I simply have to reboot the device, just in order to "refresh" memory. Not very convenient.

Anyway, I've seen a suggestion on one of the blogs [1] that there's a possibility to force certain applications to run with very low nice level, which allegedly should make them h(sn-)appier. The comment poster also suggests the possibility of making some processes never get into swap space. Unfortunately I didn't hear from him, so I don't know the details, hence asking here - is that possible at all? Anyone here tried that kind of tricks and could shed some light on the case? Well, any suggestions in regards to coping with not-that-excellent N900 performance are more than welcome. Thanks!

[1] http://danielwould.wordpress.com/2010/04/02/why-my-next-smartphone-will-probably-be-running-android-confessions-of-a-nokia-fanboy/#comment-422

--
Dawid 'evad' Lorenz * http://adl.pl

null://google 'no evil' mail has taken away my random signatures